My lovely friend invited me to go kayaking with her in Jupiter over the weekend. Being up for any adventure I, of course, enthusiastically jumped at the opportunity! I’ve only been kayaking one other time and it was in a double kayak through shallow, brackish water at a nature preserve in Palm Beach. This was my first time in a single kayak, pushing through current and avoiding boats and their wakes in intracoastal waters.
I was intimidated at first, and a bit uncoordinated, but I got the hang of it rather quickly. My Garmin watch logged 5 miles by the time we had finished. Not bad for a novice!
I felt I had packed and prepared pretty well for our adventure and learned a few things I’d do differently for next time.
Here is a suggested packing list for a So Flo Kayaking adventure:
To take with you on the kayak:
* water proof bags to stick your wallet in.
* water proof phone case so that you can take photos
* Sports/ water resistant SPF 30 or higher
* Light snacks such as granola bars or nuts
* insulated water bottle
To leave in the car for when you get back:
* flip flops
* dry clothes to change into
Here is a suggested list of things to wear:
* A hat that will remain fixed on your head via ties, elastic, velcro etc. (Or else the wind will knock it right off and into the water)
* fingerless gloves (like the kind used for cycling, lifting weights, yoga etc.) to help prevent blisters.
* bathing suite
* dry-wick clothing
* water shoes
Please comment here on any other suggestions for things I may have forgotten!
Here are some pics of our adventure: