Here’s a quick-fix meal I prepared a big pot of for myself this past Sunday. I have been packing myself leftovers of it for lunch this week. It’s high in protein, low in fat and super delicious and easy to make. Things like this make it easy to continue to eat healthy despite not getting home until past 8:30pm most nights. 🙂
- 1 lb of ground turkey. You can use either 94% lean/ 6% fat blend or ground turkey breast which is 99% lean/ 1% fat. The turkey breast will be good but dryer.
- ½ onion chopped, 2 cloves of garlic minced
- ½ cup of diced carrots
- ½ cup of diced sweet peppers (optional)
- 1, 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes ( I used a “zesty jalapeno” blend)
- 1, 15.5 oz can of garbanzos drained and rinsed, 1+ cups of chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper.
- In large skillet, heat up 2 tbsps of olive oil.
- Saute onions, garlic, carrots and peppers until tender.
- Throw in ground turkey and break apart with spoon as it cooks.
- Once all the meat is broken apart and cooking, add bay leaf, can of garbanzos and can of diced tomatoes.
- Add chicken broth to moisten mixture and to keep ingredients submerged in sauce.
- Simmer on low heat for 15-20 minutes to allow seasoning to marry.
Enjoy alone or with some brown rice or tortilla chips! 🙂