I’ve been craving some chicken soup for a little while and today I jumped at the chance to make myself a big ol’ pot of it! I love all types of chicken soups. I adore chicken matzo ball soup, traditional american chicken soup with noodles, chicken tortilla soup… but my favorite of all-time has GOT to be my momma’s recipe for Cuban chicken soup.
The reason I have called it “kinda-Cuban” chicken soup in this article is because I omitted the noodles (broken up spaghetti noodles) that are traditionally included in the soup but I can’t stand. Secondly, I forgot to buy corn which is actually one of my favorite parts of the soup. It was a real bummer to realize this when I got back from the grocery store but the soup turned out pretty good regardless. I’ll include them in the recipe but I’ll admit to having had a brain fart when I made it for myself this evening.
- 3-4 stalks of celery
- 3-4 carrots or 1 small bag of baby carrots
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium calabaza pumpkin (if you can’t find this at your grocery store, use butternut squash like I did today because its not in season)
- 2 medium pieces of Malanga (this is a traditional Caribbean root vegetable similar to a potato but A LOT more dense. It can be found in most grocery stores but, if you ABSOLUTELY MUST substitute it, use potatoes. I’m warning you though…. it just won’t be the same)
- 2 cobs of corn quartered
- 2 pounds of skinless dark meat chicken. (trim off the extra fat)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 envelope of Sazon Goya complete seasoning mix with saffron
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
Cuban chicken soup is traditionally enjoyed with a squeeze of lime juice and a side of greasy white rice…. (Cubans are not known to be healthy eaters.)
Or, you can enjoy it my way and enjoy it with a healthy squeeze of lime juice and a few dashes of tabasco sauce! 🙂 Either way, it MUST have a squeeze of lime juice. It brings out all the flavors and takes the soup to a whole new level of yumminess.
Enjoy!! What are YOUR favorite types of chicken soup recipes?! I’d love for you to share!