This salad is one of my favorites. I make it frequently for parties or get togethers because its usually a hit and always has that “wow-factor” because its so attractive. The traditional Italian version does not call for arugula (roquette lettuce) but, I LOVE arugula for its unique kick and sneak it into recipes whenever I can. Plus, it extends the salad a little bit so you get more bang for your buck 🙂 Here’s how I make it.
- 2 ripe tomatoes (I use Big Boy or heirloom varieties)
- log of fresh mozzarella
- pack of fresh basil
- olive oil
- balsamic vinaigre
Here is another one I made for a recent girl’s night at my place
Ok, so now lets talk about the health benefits:
- Tomatoes are insanely high in Vitamins A and C as well as lycopene and anti-oxidants.
- Basil is rich in beta-carotenes and anti-oxidants.
- Mozzarella is high in calcium and fat-soluble vitamins A, C and E.
- Arugula is very rich in vitamin K, C and A
- Olive oil is a non-saturated fat that has all kinds of health benefits.
So, eat up and enjoy! Its not only good, its good for you.