After I came home today, I was starving and wanted to put something yummy together quick. Good thing I recently bought groceries and had fresh produce in the fridge so I was able to whip up this awesome little go-to salad for dinner. Its my version of nicoise salad. This traditional French salad has only a few simple ingredients:
- lettuce- I use romaine and sometimes mix it with arugula (roquette lettuce)
- tomatoes- I prefer grape tomatoes or mini plum tomatos
- steamed green beans- “steam in the bag” packages are ideal for this
- black olives
- boiled eggs
- tuna- you can use canned or fresh but this can be eliminated all together because you have enough protein with the boiled eggs.
- boiled potatoes- I always omit this. The salad if filing enough without it.
- Put 2 eggs in a pot of water and bring to a boil. The minute the water begins to boil, set your timer for 8 minutes. In the mean time….
- On a plate, put a layer of your lettuce of choice as the base of your salad. Simply place the remainder of the ingredients in sections on top (think, cobb salad)
- Make your dressing. Here’s how I make my favorite Balsamic Vinaigrette
4. When the timer goes off, peel the eggs and place on top of the salad. See how the yolks are super yellow and don’t have that yucky green/ gray ring around them?! That’s ’cause you didn’t over boil them! No more than 8 minutes for the perfect boiled egg.
5. Drizzle dressing and sprinkle some cayenne pepper if you’d like (and I always like.)
Basically, you just made dinner in the time it took to boil those eggs… Enjoy!!
This is another nicoise salad I made myself a while back. With this one, I included fresh tuna. It tasted amazing but it was kind of protein over-load with the eggs. Plus, it was very expensive…. food for though 🙂